Monday, December 15, 2008

My ASB 2008 Dividend Analysis

Now that the news is out already. This year's dividend stands at 7sen per unit as compared to 8sen per unit. That's nearly 1sen per unit down. For someone like me, this drop in dividends really matters by a few thousand already. Btw, forget about the bonuses, it only matters if you had a lot of money in ASB for the past 10 years. If you had consistent savings for let's say 3 years, count your bonus like this 3/10 X 1.75% X whatever savings you had for the past 3 years.

My analysis is perfectly simple. Based on PNB's prospectus, ASB's investment is 29.35% and 23.84% in Sime Darby and Maybank respectively. That's almost 53.19% of all ASB holdings.


Above is Maybank's performance this year. With it's fiasco in Indonesia earlier and also the credit crunch going on around the world now, no wonder the shares drop.

Sime Darby is easy, price of CPO dropped massively.

You're lucky to even get 7% is all I can say.

Till next year when dividends are announced again.

2 comments:

Annuar said...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the position taken by ASB is one that is defensive. Hence, any share movement from the fiasco would not be impacted or if any would be marginal. Besides, I believe that ASB has been conservative even when it can give comparable dividends as the conventional unit trusts. SO, we can expect a fairly similar dividend level in 2009.

Dave said...

Good analysis. What I see is PNB defending between 7-8sen in good or in bad times.